NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) is a professional open-source system to Create Windows Installers. It is designed to be as small and flexible as possible and is therefore very suitable for internet distribution.
Being a user’s first experience with your product, a stable and reliable installer is an important component of successful software. With NSIS you can create such installers that are capable of doing everything that is needed to set up your software.
NSISis script-based and allows you to create the logic to handle even the most complex installation tasks. Many plug-ins and scripts are already available: you can create web installers, communicate with Windows and other software components, install or update shared components, and more. A bigger list of features:
- Generates self-contained executable installers
- Support for ZLib, BZip2, and LZMA data compression (files can be compressed individually or together)
- Uninstall tool support (installer can generate an uninstaller)
- Customizable user interface (dialogs, fonts, backgrounds, icons, text, checkmarks, images, etc.)
- Classic and Modern wizard interface
- Fully multilingual, support for multiple languages (including RTL languages) in one installer. More than 40translations are already available, but you can also create your own.
- Page system: You can add standard wizard pages or custom pages
- User selection of installation components, a tree for component selection
- Multiple install configurations (usually Minimal, Typical, Full), and custom configuration
- Installer self-verification using a CRC32 checksum
- Small overhead over compressed data size (34 KB with default options)
- Ability to display a license agreement in text or RTF format
- Ability to detect destination directory from the registry
- Easy to use plug-in system (lots of plug-ins for creation of custom dialogs, internet connections, HTTP downloading, file patching, Win32 API calls, etc. are included)
- Installers can be as large as 2GB
- And many more…