Lantern is a very useful open source networking application for desktop and mobile users that successfully removes censorship features imposed by various websites, regions and online locations. However, while this feature is also present in many other VPN Proxy services, Lantern manages to distinguish itself by becoming active only when encountering censored or region blocked content, thus enabling you to browse the majority of the internet with full potential of your internet connection, without the need to re-route your internet connection through proxy servers all the time. Majority of the users of Lantern are using it gain uncensored access to world’s most popular websites such as YouTube, Google, Wikipedia, Twitter, Facebook and many other news, social media or even media streaming sites such as Netflix, Spotify and Pandora that are for some reason blocked in various parts of the world.
In addition to providing a secure and anonymous way to access censored or region-locked online locations, it also adds a separate layer of security to your online traffic by automatically upgrading unsecured HTTP connections to encrypted HTTPS when possible.
Installation and Use
During the brief installation, the software will prompt you to install Google Chrome browser if you already don’t have it on your PC. After it integrates into the Chrome browser, you will be required to input your account credentials. You can either create a new account or input your existing login info. After a brief visit to its configuration area, It will be finally ready to use.
The FREE version of the tool is available worldwide, but it will provide users with only 500 MB of monthly bandwidth. Every user will get a new IP address, thus masking their true network location, providing additional security, and unlocking various parts of the internet that are censored or region-blocked. Through the Google Chrome browser, you can also easily get informed about the current status of your internet connection, the number of the unsecured HTTP connections that were automatically adapted into more secure HTTPS, number of blocked adds and various data usage statistics.
To make the tool more user-friendly, each of its accounts can be tied to several Google accounts, thus enabling you to easily enable unrestricted browsing on all your home computers, or even share uncensored internet browsing to your friends. The free version of the app showcases ads that ask users to upgrade to a premium version of this service.
Features and Highlights
- Easy to Use – Simply augment your Google Chrome browser to access censored or region-blocked content from worldwide internet sources.
- Free for everyone – Every user of the program gets access to 500 MB of high-speed data and unrestricted access to the bandwidth-limited data stream.
- Automatic routing around censorship or regional blocks – Open up the entire internet to your browser.
- Upgraded security while browsing – Protect your private information by upgrading all HTTP connections into HTTPS.
- Automatic removal of ads – Simplify and quicken your browsing with automatic removal of ads on various websites. Because of your IP masking, many ad engines will not be able to target ads based on your previous browsing history.
- Improved defense with Pro version – Access the up-to-date re-routing algorithms that are created 24/7 by the development team
- Faster Speeds with Pro edition – Unlock the full potential of your internet connection.
- Unlimited Data with Pro edition – Access blocked videos and download content with no bandwidth limitations.
- No ads with Lantern Pro – Remove built-in ads from your browsing experience.
Note: Limited to 500 MB traffic per month. Limited functionality.
Also Available: Download Lantern for Mac